Sunday, July 06, 2014

a visit to Dewey's Pizza, a local pizza place (review)

0 comments
 
Me. Wannabe foodie, remember? So why on earth am I writing about a pizza place?

I've known about Dewey's for quite some time now. I discovered it by accident, after some co-workers ordered Ryan's Inferno for a work party. What's Ryan's Inferno, you ask? Try olive oil, mozzarella and gorgonzola, Buffalo chicken, red onions and ranch dressing. I. KNOW. RIGHT?

But I'm gonna be honest here. I'm not a pizza person. So when I left said office, Dewey's Pizza was no more for me. Insert sad face.

Fast forward three years. Amara and I were recently invited to visit the Lakewood location of Dewey's Pizza. And that's when I found out Dewey's is actually part of a larger operation. And when I say operation, I don't mean "chain." I mean it has locations in Cincy (where it is based), Columbus and here in NEO.


There's just something about a local pizza joint. One thing I always love about visiting
the Shore is that there's a local pizza place at every corner. (If you know anything about me, I'm a Sam's girl when we go to Wildwood. Amara's a Mack's gal.) There's always just this great feeling when you walk into a local restaurant. The environment just feels right. The employees are happy and the food is f.r.e.s.h.

I mean, did you know Dewey's produces its dough daily? 

Left to right: Amara in disbelief. Managing Partner David I.
 shows the girls the ropes. Goofing off in the kitchen.
Impressive! Not bad for their first try!
Their dough tossing skills may have impressed me, but what impressed me most is how little Dewey's had on hand. It's an efficient operation - with a business station in the back and only enough produce needed to keep the ingredients fresh.


Dining is not what you would expect from a pizzaria. Yes, the menu has some fantastic, unique options like Ryan's Inferno or Wild Mushroom. But you can also create your own pizza. Yes, that's nothing new. But what I did not know is that if you're a gluten-free or dairy-free eater, the kitchen crew will wash down as best as they can the oven and counter surfaces so that you can enjoy your pizza at Dewey's too. I mean seriously, how cool!



If you're used to coupons at those *other* places, prices may trend a bit high. But let me tell you, it's worth it. Friendly, accommodating wait staff. Chairs that you don't stick to because they're so old and dingy. Light and airy decor.

Oh and if you're like me and not a huge pizza eater, its salads are to die for. No really. The salads at the pizza joint are tremendous!


We've had Dewey's again since this visit, and I'm going to guess it's because I was reminded of how fantastic this place is. Enjoy your staycation or make the days leading up to vacation rush simple with some time at Dewey's Pizza. Or if you're looking for a truly family-friendly place to dine in the Cleveland area, Dewey's Pizza is the way to go.


Disclosure: Dewey's Pizza invited us to share an afternoon with their Managing Partner which included three complementary pizzas. I was not given any guidelines nor instructed on what to write. Because we all know, I always have an opinion, and I rarely keep it to myself. 

No comments :

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff